Thursday, March 29, 2012

Letter to Edna Chekelelee



Dear Edna Chekelelee,

            As I read some of your stories I recognized you often use a humorous tone, and although I did not have the pleasure of hearing you orally tell these stories, I could easily sense your light-hearted personality. Your use of wit was especially meaningful in my eyes because I believe it reveals a deeper quality that is often found among Native Americans. Though you are telling stories of your ancestors suffering, you find a way of inserting clever commentary to ease the listener or reader, preventing them from sensing any uneasiness for what their ancestors may have inflicted upon your people. Do you choose to tell your stories in this fashion or is just what comes naturally?
            Your choice of stories is also admirable. You enlighten your audience by telling them stories of the importance of nature, while also incorporating personal stories such as “Feathers,” which I believe is my favorite that I read. Your canny response of them wanting a chicken instead of an American Indian made me laugh aloud. The introduction says you’ve been telling stories for an extended period of time, so I’m assuming you have plenty you’ve collected over the years. Do you have a favorite, if so which is it?
            Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories because they have allowed me to gain a new appreciation and understanding of oral storytelling. If you have any recorded stories that you’re personally telling I would love to hear them.

Sincerely,
Alex Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment