Monday, April 16, 2012

Cherokee


            Our adventure to Cherokee was different than what I had expected. In my mind, I had imagined more residencies and less urbanization, along with a strong traditional vibe that filled the air everywhere you went. Instead, as we pulled into Cherokee, we drove along a strip of commercialized shops that appealed to the tourist mentality of a need for souvenirs and a false display of what it means to be a Native American. There were men dressed in extravagant head dresses and clothing that would be typical in an old western film, ready to dance if you paid them. This was not my ideal visual of first impressions as I arrived.
            Once we arrived to the museum and began walking around and reading all about the Cherokee lifestyle, history and struggle that their people endured, I began to gain a new sense of respect and understanding. The museum revealed a great amount of information, in fact too much to take in with just one visit, but I believe that they couldn’t have portrayed their story in a better way. Their use of visuals and artifacts was spectacular, especially the all too realistic characters on display that really captivated the Indian persona and physical attributes, making me feel as if I were actually back in time standing amidst a real native.
            After gaining such a large amount of knowledge about the Cherokee people’s past and struggle among the white man, I was able to look at the strip of tourist’s shops in a new light. Rather than having a sense of misunderstanding, I now understood that their use of commercial shops to appeal to the tourists is their way of fitting in and surviving in a white man’s world. It’s just another way in which they have adapted their lives in order to manage with their constant defeat and struggles they are constantly forced to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment